It is located very close to the Maestranza, and is the headquarters of the brotherhood of the same name. Its architectural and artistic complex is the summit of the Spanish Baroque. The brotherhood of the Holy Charity was founded in the 15th century. Its mission was to assist the abandoned sick and to bury the executed and the drowned in the river.

Initially the brotherhood was located in the St George’s Chapel, built in the Royal Shipyards (Atarazanas Reales). In 1644, and due to the dilapidated condition of the chapel, it was determined to build a new church, thanks to the donations of Miguel de Mañara, who in this way wanted to atone for his numerous infractions of the Ten Commandments. It seems that this character inspired Tirso de Molina to create his Don Juan.

The entrance welcomes us with two patios decorated with tiles depicting Old and New Testament scenes. Both with marble fountains in the centre symbolizing mercy and charity. In the second courtyard and on a high central column is a bust of the founder of the hospital, Miguel de Mañara. The facade of the Church, a masterpiece of the Baroque, represents its patrons: Saint George and Santiago, and the three virtues: Faith, Hope and Charity.

The Church is of a single nave under a barrel vault. Two impressive paintings by Valdés Leal illustrate Death as the great equalizer and lead us to meditate on the vanities of earthly life. The altar privides an extraordinary ensemble: the statues of the altarpiece are the work of Pedro Roldán, the three virtues fly over a Descent of an aweinspiring realism. On the sides of the altarpiece two angels are lightbearers.

Pictures of Murillo complete the decoration of the nave, with biblical scenes and lives of saints, always with compassion as the central theme.